Saturday, January 31, 2009

NYC May 2008

So-after much procrastination and hang-wringing-I now present the whole NY blog.

I had the opportunity to work in NYC for a couple weeks this month; I won't bore you with the details except to say that when I get a chance to stay in NY for free, I always take advantage of it and try not to let work get in the way of my fun. (You've probably noticed that I tend to wring every bit of fun out of all my trips-I promise you I do get some work done too LOL).

There are too many pictures in this blog; I tried to pick out the best, and I must apologize if it's boring, but they all have something to say.

The first shot above is of Broadway in Soho; I stayed on the outskirts of this area and spent a lot of time around the Soho, Nolita, Chinatown, Little Italy areas this trip.Some Soho and Nolita architectural details:

9/11/01-we will never forget

Pearl River-great store for all things Chinese

More Soho cast iron architecture

Rambling around the West Village

My last full day here, some of us went out for lunch at South Street Seaport-what a beautiful day and a beautiful view.

That night, I wandered around looking for a restaurant; finally found Ed's Lobster Bar. After dinner I saw this incongruous sight-a limo in front of a burned out building!

Believe it or not, this pile of stone is a police station!

Little Italy-St Anthony's festival was in full swing

Friday

I worked til about 1 PM, and then I was out of there. The original plan called for some museums (many stay open late on Friday night), but it was still so beautiful and I was itching to be on the water-so I took a boat ride on the Staten Island Ferry!

The hole in the sky-never forget...

Lady Liberty from the water-she's so majestic holding her torch

Manhattan from the Staten Island ferry dock

On to the museums-first the Neue Galerie-a mansion full of 19th and 20th century German and Austrian art.

No pictures inside, so this was taken surreptiously in the cafe.

From the website-a piece of the Wiener Werkstatte jewelry on display right now.

Next, the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum. This is a Smithsonian museum, and the Rococo exhibit was interesting, but the real attraction here is the Carnegie mansion! Again no pictures are allowed but I promise you the inside is a feast of craftsmanship and artistry the likes of which only the turn-of-the-century rich could afford. Amazing!

After I left the Cooper-Hewitt, I ambled through Central Park all the way to the southern tip (that's from 91st St to 59th!) The sun was setting over the Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir just in time for a photo op.

By the time I reached 59th Street and the Plaza there, it was dark-the picture's a little blurry but not too bad.

Saturday morning-the Metropolitan Museum. Here's my favorite Klimt-Mada Primavesi-I've used her as my default before and will again.

Close-up detail of Sargent's Madame X

The architectural detail in this place is incredible-some shots that just don't do it justice-

The Temple of Dundur-there are no leaves on the trees outside because this was taken over the winter-I cheated a bit.

My favorite Monet-The Bodmer Oak

Van Gogh's Irises

Hope you enjoyed my trip-I love New York!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment