Saturday, January 31, 2009

Susquehanna River summer 08

Just in case you'd like to read more, here's Wikipedia on the river.

Another photo blog-this one from my circle around central PA last week.

In my travels for work, I'm lucky enough to spend some time along the Susquehanna River; we have several jobs that entail crossing over and otherwise being in the presence of this beautiful river and its tributaries. I must admit that I almost always go out of my way to drive along/over it.

This trip took me in a big circle-from home in AC to York in south central, Pittston by Scranton in NE coal country, Pottsville (home of Yuengling beer), and Harrisburg. I decided to take the camera and document some views along the river. Many of the pictures are in my albums; hopefully I've chosen the best ones for this blog.

I tried to find a good map to demonstrate where I was, but gave up. This is from the first location, between York and Harrisburg in south central-it also gives you an idea just where we are, though.

The first two are between York and Harrisburg-from a boat ramp in the little town of Wrightsville, PA.

Next stop, Pittston, PA-well upstream in the foothills/former coal country of Scranton. Pittston sits right on the river and was the host of industry-the factories and workers on the Pittston side of the river, and the bosses across the bridge in West Pittston.

I'm getting a little better at the self-portraits!!?

After I took these shots, I came back to town for a little dinner at a seafood restaurant right on the water. I asked for a table at the window-nice view!

I wanted to get some shots on the way down to Harrisburg, but couldn't find any good places to stop, plus I did have appointments to get to-work getting in the way as usual-oh well. The west branch is also spectacular-it's much narrower and sits in a gorge-probably no good place for pix there either but I'd like to try sometime.

Anyhow...

Next stop, Harrisburg. I wanted to get the city from across the river, but shooting from the car was not working out so bagged it. This one is ok.

These are from the northern tip of the city-one of my appointments was on North Front St. so I arrived early and started shooting.

Looking downstream

Upstream

Just hanging out

That's enough for now-hope you enjoyed my little trip!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment