Saturday, January 31, 2009

Two cities at night

Another photo blog-two cities at night.

I took these pictures back in 1999, when I was starting the training program required to be certified for what I do. The program took me to different cities around the country, but the best ones (other than Philly of course) were NY and DC.

The pictures were shot with a 35 mm camera we've had for years. I retired it after I bought the new digital last winter, but after discovering these shots I think I need to drag it out again-it's so much better for the nighttime light and dark contrasts.

NY

The view from my room (at the Sofitel?) onto Broadway

Times Square from the ground

Very curious about the Coke sign

Went to see this show-the play was mediocre but Dame Judi rocked!

DC

I took these pictures on a Monuments at Night tour-not usually much for tours but it's the best way to see the monuments at night-no worries about parking or anything-I highly recommend it. The tour starts out at Union Station-a reclamation project that succeeded brilliantly.

At first I was a bit upset that the Washington Monument was swathed in scaffolding for some work, but it ended up making for the photo op of a lifetime

Lincoln Memorial

Vietnam Veteran's Memorial

Jefferson Memorial (Monument?), with Washington's obelisk in the background

These men don't just seem larger than life-they were!

Those working here right now are just regular schmos like you and me, but the building is still fabulous.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment