Saturday, January 31, 2009

Stumbling on a Soho shoot, May 2008

I love New York! You never know what you'll find around the next corner.

I went for dinner at a casual bar/restaurant type place called Lucky Strike, on Grand St by Wooster. It's owned by the guy who owns Balthazar, a popular French bistro, so I thought it would be worth checking out.

Dinner was lovely-a couple glasses of Malbec and the first soft shells of the season-yummy. Walking down Grand St on the way to the restaurant I went by the trailers that are the hallmark of a location shoot,

but not a lot of activity, so I went to dinner.

When I came out, I noticed a couple of cranes lined up on Wooster St, and, since cranes always catch my atttention after our house-lift experience

I decided to hang around to see what would happen, if anything. From what I know about location shoots, or any shoot for that matter, it's a lot of hurry up and wait, but it was a beautiful evening and I had nothing better to do. (I must admit that the film industry is one of my roads not taken-I've learned a lot about how much pre- and post-production work is involved and sometimes wonder what if... But I'm digressing.)

So, the cranes went up, and the lights on them focused on their target-a window on the fourth floor of the corner building.

I guess they got the shots they needed, because even though I couldn't see any cameras, eventually the cranes came down and a bunch of crew came out of the building.

As I walked back to the hotel along Grand St, I got a shot of the No Parking stickers on the telephone pole-

I looked "When In Rome" up on IMDB when I got back to the room. It sounds like a really silly Touchstone Pictures flick with Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel-scheduled to shoot in Rome and NY. I'll probably never see it but enjoyed my little peek behind the curtain.

No comments:

Post a Comment