Sunday, November 21, 2010

Home water May 09

Yes this is a repost from April-but I forgot a boat! Enjoy

What a beautiful spring day! The boardwalk bike ride was spectacular. As usual, the ocean provoked many thoughts, but today it brought me a little extra. An epiphany of sorts.

Gazing out at the water thinking of Mark and his friends on Nadya, fishing the wrecks, I realized something about my husband and his relationship with the water around here. This is his home water; the channels, bays, inlets, and waves he knows like his own name. Mark's been on these waters on one boat or another since his childhood.

Mom and Dad's fishing and sailboats
(I must try to find a pic of his mother's catboat-what a pretty boat!)

Small sailboat (Sunfish-not my picture)


Windsurfer (not my picture)


505 (not my picture)


The Yarcraft-first fishing boat (I forgot this one the first time)



Skiff lovingly built with his hands


JC fishing boat



When I think about moving away from here; or even just about finagaling some kind of winter hideout, I focus on the dirt I would miss-the house, family, job (well maybe not...), the Phillies, driving around NJ and PA, etc.

I don't think about leaving my home water because I don't spend that much time out on it. Yes I go to the beach and sit on my back porch, but I don't go out in the boat very much. But when I think about Mark's thoughts on leaving I now understand a bit better why he is so picky about places he'll consider-he has to think about his new home waters. To replace the water you've known and loved all your life is a serious endeavor, and looking at the ocean today, I finally got it.

Maybe you think that this is a no-brainer and can't understand how I could live with someone for xx years and never realize such a basic, fundamental fact of life. Maybe that wisdom they sell us as a replacement for youth isn't such a crock of shit after all??

What do you think?

What would you miss most if leaving your home water?


No comments:

Post a Comment