Monday, November 29, 2010

Is peace an illusion? August 09

Yes, this is the second post today. I've been thinking about something for a couple days now and am getting it off my chest; or maybe more appropriately from my hip, cause I really should do some research but I'm not going to. This is all coming from my gut.

One of my friends recently left me a picture comment with the words "Peace is our Birthright". You might say this is not really controversial but it really got me thinking.

You may or may not know about my political background (look for the David Mamet blog if not), and know my VERY liberal-minded parents raised me to believe all the canards were the gospel truth. They would probably agree that peace is our birthright and that war is avoidable, if only the right people are in charge. I don't think so!

All my apathy now makes sense to me-I didn't believe a word, and now consider myself a fiscal conservative and social libertarian. Ok, enough exposition-damn I always feel the need to explain myself all the time-wtf is with me?

Anyway, I have a problem with the slogan "Peace is our Birthright". I don't think it is our birthright. Peace is a good thing, of course. I certainly don't want to see people die, and I'm not talking about any particular war here, so please spare me the Bush-bashing. Yawn...

I'm asking you to think about this over the entire span of human history. There are always those who, for whatever reason, covet the land or resources of others, and those others usually fight back, sometimes to their death and/or usurpation of their entire culture. Peace is only achieved when someone wins. Given the number of heinous megalomaniacs and tyrannous dictators (and even some who thought they were doing the right thing) throughout history, many people have fought and died (or been enslaved) for their freedom. This is nothing new, and I have come to believe that it will continue unabated as long as humans populate this planet.

I could cite many examples of peace achieved through battle or surrender (the only means available),but I won't since I didn't do my research. Yes there may be times when compromise works, but usually that compromise is only a smoke bomb detonated to throw off the scent-the Czechs are still pissed about the Allies' abandonment in WWII. But that is a specific example about which I have limited knowledge, and I wanted to keep this on the big picture.

I like our Founders' idea much better. They knew that George III would never allow them the kind of peace they desired, and they realized the our only birthright is the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It is that right to liberty that we continue to fight for so bravely and valiantly, "against all enemies, both foreign and domestic".

Something else that got me thinking-schoolhouse rock














So what's your birthright?




No comments:

Post a Comment