Monday, November 29, 2010

Why my avatar is an upside down flag April 10




Anyone who's been around my page for any length of time knows that I (used to) change my profile picture A LOT. I used pictures of myself and others to express my mood, and as you know that mood changes all the time. So-you may wonder about this flag-why I continue to fly it and give up one of my means of expression here, which I take very seriously.

The flag is a symbol of the worry and concern I harbor about the future of the United States of America, my country. The concern is with me all the time, so no matter what I write in my status or my blogs about my work, pictures, travel, the Phillies, whatever, the flag will stay.

The writing reads:

"The United States of America-A Nation in Dire Distress" and quotes from
the US Code

"Title 4 Chapter 1-The Flag

Section 8-Respect for Flag

The Flag shall never be displayed with the Union down, except as a
signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or
property."


You may think that I intend disrespect to our flag-I know it inspired
someone I don't even know to send me an email on facebook to tell me it offended
him. (Yes I use this avatar on facebook too-an exception to one of my rules regarding the difference between the two-yes IT'S THAT IMPORTANT)
I didn't ask him why or get into anything with him; in retrospect maybe I should have done. But I have to tell you that I
mean no disrespect to the flag or any American living or dead; I really
do believe that our country IS in a state of dire distress, and life and
property ARE in extreme danger.




You may disagree, but I implore you to keep an open mind. Don't be
spoonfed anything from anyone-educate yourself! Luckily nowadays we have
voices from all slices of the spectrum speaking out-this is so
different from when I was growing up-when network news and the New York
Times were kings. For a long time I didn't understand why I buried
myself in apathy, but now I know all too well and am not afraid to
express my thoughts out loud.




So-if you wonder why I fly this flag, there you have it. I will continue
to fly it until I feel a little more reassured that our great country
has a future and will not be ripped apart from within. And I hope that
every time you see it, you will remember how damn lucky you are to be a
citizen of our country, and remember your duties as a citizen.
Please feel free to unfriend me if you are offended by this, but dammit, I
grew up listening to people denigrate and apologize for this great
country, and I won't listen to it anymore.



Thanks for reading and remember your duty-many men and women have sacrificed much for our freedom-we owe it to them, and to ourselves as citizens of the greatest nation on earth. And if this blog, or any videos or articles I post here in the future, offends you, please feel free to remove yourself from my list. I don't choose my friends based on their political affiliation, and I don't spend all my time talking about politics, but I will not be silent about our future.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment