Monday, November 29, 2010

I love NY-again July 13, 09

I am so behind on blogs right now I am ashamed of myself. Please forgive me for not visiting you lately. It's been a busy weekend.

Mom and I went to NY this weekend for a 36 hour whirlwind of art and art and art, and then some Noel Coward, Blithe Spirit, to be exact. Angela Lansbury, Rupert Everett, et al put on a fun and funny show.

But that was on Sunday-here's the way it all went down on Saturday. We arrived at about 11:00 AM and went straight down to Soho to the Eleanor Ettinger gallery to see paintings by Michael John Hunt. Great stuff-what he does with light is amazing!

Then to the hotel, a travelzoo special at the Warwick Hotel. Dropped bags in the room, and then left for the Frick Collection to see the Whistlers.

Then up to 92nd St to the Jewish Museum where the exhibit of Dutch masters told an incredible story of the loss to and repatriation of paintings stolen by the Nazis for Hitler's personal museum! Wow!

Heading down Fifth Ave, we hit the Guggenheim for the exhibit of Frank Lloyd Wright drawings, plans, and models. The people were a pain in the ass and the venue is pretty damn annoying, but I'm glad we went to see it, especially after seeing two of his houses out in western PA a couple weeks ago, Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob.

Then to the Metropolitan, after a little peek at the stained glass windows in the Church of Heavenly Rest.

So much to see there, but then just the permanent collection is a daunting display!

Between Saturday night and Sunday morning we saw medieval drawings, Michaelangelo's first painting,
and treasures from Afghanistan,

BUT the exhibit I enjoyed most was this one, The Model as Muse.

The rooms were full of the clothes from some of the most iconic fashion shots of the 20th century and profiles of the models, all grouped chronologically, but I was drawn to the photography in the actual magazines and photos on display.

Some of the greatest photographers worked in fashion; people like Cecil Beaton, Irving Penn, Richard Avedon, Helmut Newton, Patrick Demarchelier, Steven Meisel, and Peter Lindbergh, among others.

The photography blew me away-I am actually a bit shocked at how little attention I paid to the clothes. I was poring over the magazines and the photos.

My fav of the show Rene Russo and Cheryl Tiegs by Helmut Newton. Love it!





I was also very gratified to see my Gia Carangi represented with a small profile and several photos; she gets short shrift in the story of models-but then she was a supernova whose flame glowed too bright and hot and burned her. I have a soft spot obviously....

So-my weekend. I promise you will not be sorry you visited any of these links-enjoy.

Oh and also-if you are on Manhattan and looking for some great original art for a reasonable price, walk down Fifth Ave immediately south of the Met. Much of what you'll find is not original and may be a bit touristy, but poke around a bit and you'll be rewarded by the gallery on the sidewalk.

Ok-so it's pimp a blogger month, right? If you look at my subscriptions you know I couldn't possibly tell you about everyone, SO

I'm pimping myself and inviting you to pimp yourself here in the comments. It will really help me get up to speed on all your blogs and maybe pique someone else's curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment