Sunday, November 21, 2010

Shut up and act April 09

Mom and I spent this past weekend in NYC; enjoying the beautiful weather, eating and drinking, perusing art on the walls and in the showcases, and generally enjoying each other's company. All in all a great weekend, and I'll have some pictures eventually, however something happened that I feel I need to tell you about.

Mom and I took in a Broadway play on Saturday. We saw Exit the King, an absurdist comedy by Ionesco, staring Geoffrey Rush, Susan Sarandon, and Lauren Ambrose (love her) and Andrea Martin, along with several others. The play was incredible-the scenario is a little far-fetched, but after reading a bit about the playwright I understand why, but compelling, and the acting was superb.

I love Geoffrey Rush in anything, Susan Sarandon should shut up and act, because she can pull it off, Lauren Ambrose is one of my favs (she could be my daughter any day), and Andrea Martin (known for SNL) was very good.



Back to the story

After the standing ovation and the second curtain call, all the actors stepped out of charachter to beg the audience to reach in to their pockets on the way out of the theater to help a NYC Aids charity! Now of course I have nothing against the charity, which I'm sure does wonderful work helping people, BUT I was not happy with the actors using their position on stage to shill for it.

SHUT UP AND ACT!

So yes, I am one of those people who wishes that actors should just keep quiet about the the politicians and charities they support, at least while the are working. Of course I think they have every right to support whomever they choose, I just don't appreciate the preaching. Mom and I paid good money, that was well spent, BTW, to see the play. However, I did not want fries with that-keep the guilt trip to yourself, thank you!

SHUT UP AND ACT!

I am not interested in the charities and/or politicians they support, and it's an insult to any intelligence I may have to think that I'll give money just because they think it's the right thing to do. I support the charities and politicians of my own choosing; it's a private matter and none of anyone's business. I expect to see a performance without having someone else's shoved down my throat. Proselytize from the red carpet, US mag, or TV talk show if you must, but keep it away from the work!

It's funny-Mom and I couldn't be much farther apart in our political beliefs, but we do agree on many other things, and this is one of them. No begging from the stage! The spell of the play was broken, and instead of remaining in the moment, we were thrust into the harsh light of someone's present reality, and we both felt in need of a shower. All we wanted from them was just to

SHUT UP AND ACT!

So-has this ever happened to you?

Didya ever just want to scream

SHUT UP AND ACT?

No comments:

Post a Comment