Monday, November 29, 2010

I was born to drive these roads-and FAST August 09

Home again after a week in PA; see the previous blog for some shots in the mountains.

My favorite part of the journey home from working in PA is the drive through Philly; many of my favorite shots of the city were taken on these Thursday and Friday afternoons. Something about being back in my city after a week on the road just kick starts my weekend, and it was the same today.

I don't have pics today, but some maps of my favorite drive in the city. Wissahickon Drive and Kelly Drive (aka East River Drive), along the Wissahickon Creek and Schuylkill River, respectively.

I was born to drive these curvy roads along these beautiful bodies of water, and the act exhilarates me like almost nothing else. I used to joke that I could drive these roads blindfolded after all the years riding in the car with Mom; this was her favorite way to get into Center City from the burbs where we lived. But when I found out that my parents drove them to get to work in town when I was in the womb, I realized why they felt so familiar to me.

A fast car with five speeds and a way with curves is a must-it's just enough speed and danger to get my blood pumping. One of these days I'm going to get one of those helmet cams (or enlist an accomplice to shoot the video), and make a vid of the trip. Not only is the road hella fun, but the scenery is beautiful.

But until I have the vid, these maps will have to do. My hand was a little shaky on the laptop pad, but it's late, so please forgive me.

First map-Wissahickon Drive from Wissahickon Ave to the Schuylkill, where it follows the creek into the river and turns into Kelly (named after Grace Kelly's dad, a Philly big shot) aka East River Drive.






The second map shows Kelly Drive from the Falls Bridge down to the Reservoir, past Laurel Hill Cemetery (pics in one of my Philly blogs)




And the third map takes us around a couple wicked curves to the end of Kelly Drive at the Museum of Art (pics in another blog, along with shots of the river views from the museum) and the Ben Franklin Parkway, which leads into Center City past several fountains, including the one in Logan Circle that I shot in the Details blog.





Thanks for coming along and I promise to get you a video-it's quite a ride!

Have a great weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment