Sunday, November 21, 2010

My crowning glory AND blog



I really wanted to do this blog in time to post it on A.N.D., but I just wasn't feeling inspired until today. I was coming back from making Alana cut my bangs. She didn't want to do it yet because technically the rest of my hair is not long enough, but she knows how bored and antsy I get and she cut them anyway. My hair really is too short still, but since I'm always putting it behind my ears, the bangs won't make me look too much like a bobblehead. I just had enough with the sideswept-it was ok for the short cut, but now that it's growing out, enough is enough.

So-the A.N.D. hair blog. In the car on the way back home this morning I finally realized what my hair means to me. It's nothing less than control over my own life!



My hair looked the same from my teenage years through my late twenties-long, wavy, frizzy..


HS grad



Wedding


but as my life became more of what I wanted it to be instead of just going with the flow, the hair started to come off and change.

The first thing I did was cut bangs, and then after a while, I cut it all off. My thirties and some of my forties were a whirlwind of growing out, cutting, growing out, cutting-I can't tell you how many times. It was always curly though. At the time I didn't think I was coordinated enough to handle a blow dryer and brush, but today I realized that maybe I wasn't ready to take total control of my hair. Even though at this point I had much more control of my life; I went back to college, studied abroad, and took my work life up several notches.

About 3 or 4 years ago I realized I could handle the tools necessary to make my hair straight! At that point whole new worlds of hairstyles opened up to me, and of course I experimented with just about all of them. I never thought about what my hair said about me; I used it as a way to stave off boredom in my life and left it at that, but what was I really doing?

Controlling my life! This came to me in flash today as I was thinking about my bangs. Alana didn't want to cut them yet because the rest of my hair is not long enough, and she is right of course, but in the end I exercised the control.

Then my mind took the leap-it's all about my control over my own life-this is the inspiration I've been waiting for!

Another layer of onion peeled...


Thanks for listening as always, and please go to A.N.D. and check out the hair blogs and all the others-great topics and writers, I promise!

Link to A.N.D. (writing group) hair blogs

So-the question-what does your hair mean to you?

Also-I'm getting a Keratin treatment on Saturday-anyone ever had it and what did you think?

oxoxox









No comments:

Post a Comment