Sunday, November 21, 2010

Losing my religion-notes on the latest Vogue Feb 09

br />

Subtitle-Notes on this month's Vogue

I guess you can tell that this is not about religion in the strictest sense, considering I categorized it in Fashion, Style, and Shopping. So if you are looking for a blog about spirituality or lack thereof, you are in the wrong place.

I received my new Vogue mag today, and was a bit excited to escape into the world of high fashion with both the editorial pages and the ads. However, I was immediately disillusioned when I ripped open the plastic and got a look at the cover. I'm sorry, but Michelle Obama does not belong on the cover of Vogue! WTF? I'll put aside my disgust at the non-stop ass kissing fest going on in the country these days and just focus on the facts.

Vogue is SUPPOSED to be a fashion rag; who gives a shit about the first lady (or Jennifer Aniston, who was on last month's cover opining about Angelina-puleeze-another story done to death!) What happened to models on the cover? Why are they so obsessed with "celebrities"? Do we really want to see this crap or what? I certainly don't. I look at and read Vogue to catch up on what is going on in the rarefied world of fashion. Of course I can't afford the designer duds pictured in its pages, but high fashion informs the clothes, shoes, etc that the rest of us wear, and I'm always on the lookout for the trends that will influence what we see in the stores in the coming months.Plus it is an escape from the everyday. So no celebrities, politicians etc!!!! (well maybe Carla Bruni and Angelina Jolie are exempt; they'll always be models to me).

OK-getting to the list

WTF is Muiccia Prada thinking this spring? She must be out of ideas, because her collection is amazingly bad, except for one dress that I LOVE (leave it to her to surprise me with a good one)



The rest of them look like wrinkled paper bags so I won't waste your time.

And the shoes!!!! Why is it that designers show only skyscraper heels with ridiculously fanciful details and nonsense OR flat-as-a-pancake flats? Is there nothing in between? Don't answer that-it's really just a rhetorical question-but it still gets under my skin cause I love shoes!

Next up-jumpsuits!!!! Yeah, this will go over like a lead f**king balloon, even in the palaces of the rich like Bergdorfs and Neiman's. If the models don't even look good, and they look like they are ready for the Space Shuttle, then how the hell do they think they can convince anyone to buy them? My prediction-this trend has no legs, no legs at all!

White handbags! WTF? I was trolling around in TJ Maxx today and saw oodles of them, so I can't blame it entirely on the world of high fashion, but again I ask WTF? If I ever had the temerity to carry a white handbag, all the dirt in the world would stop what it was doing to jump on to it; and I'd probably spill some coffee on it just to even out the stains. Nuff said.

Last but not least-it seems that the hairstyle I am so patiently coveting is already here! Yes I am ahead of my time, but of course this means that by the time I get there it will be passe-how ironic. I really don't give a shit because I want just above shoulder-length hair even if Kate Moss and Gweneth Paltrow decide to go all extension on me, but I had to chuckle at the article. Oh well-they'll never know it was my idea first...

So-what do you think of this spring's trends, or any trends for that matter? Do you read the fashion rags, and if so which ones? (I pared mine down to Lucky and Vogue).

Let's talk fashion!






No comments:

Post a Comment